Product: Visual Latin: Lessons 1-10
1510 E Spencer Lake Rd
Shelton, WA 98584
www.timberdoodle.com for the main website for homeschool supplies or homeschool curriculum
Age Appeal: Nine and up
Format: DVD with PDF’s
Don’t know Latin and want to learn? Then pop in this DVD and press play. Each lesson has around ten minutes of video with corresponding PDF worksheets. Each lesson broken down into: grammar, sentences and reading. In the reading section is divided into: reading, comprehension and translation.
This DVD contains:
- A. Why Study Latin?
- B. Latin Then & Now
- C. Stuff You Should Know about Latin
Lessons 1 to 10
- 1. Being Verbs Basics | To Be and Not to Be
- 2. Being Verbs Basics | Predicate Nominative and Adjectives
- 3. Gender | Boy Words and Girl Words
- 4. Singular and Plural | E Pluribus Unum
- 5. Declensions | Meet the Cases
- 6. Adjectives learn to Agree with Nouns
- 7. The Case Files | Nominative and Genitive
- 8. Counting to 10 in Latin
- 9. Active Verb Basics | Indicative Mood
- 10. The Case Files | Accusative
The instructor, Dwayne Thomas, has been teaching Latin for 15 years. As you watch the videos you can see his passion with his jokes and humor. And the joy as your children can learn independently from him.
Video of Our Favorite Part of Each Lesson
I think Latin is one of those important languages to learn to help improve your English vocabulary and more easily learn other foreign languages.
The PDF videos and worksheets worked very well for us. We would were not working on the rest of our school work at the time of this review, so we were able to concentrate on learning one lesson a day. We did take more time on the more difficult lessons, like trying to learn the declensions.
Since C is just learning how to read she concentrated mostly on learning from the video, but we did work on the worksheets together. B had a lot of fun learning from the videos and working on the worksheets by himself. It was fun watching their eyes grow bright as they were able to figure out the answers to the questions.
Our favorite part was the translation section of the video. We had fun listening to Dwayne Thomas read the passage and repeating after him. We thought it was great that the passage we were translating were Biblically based.
What I Liked:
- How B and C are eager to learn how to speak, read and write Latin.
- As you are learning the parts of Latin grammar, you are also learning English grammar.
- How the lesson worksheets complete the lessons by reinforcing what is learned on the video.
What I Disliked:
- The casualness that the instructor sometimes had during the lesson. One example would be, when the phone rang and he ended the lesson to answer the phone.
What B (boy, age seven, officially in second grade) Liked and Disliked: I liked it. Some of the lessons were tricky and some were funny. Some of the worksheets were tricky, like lesson five about declensions. Declensions are going to be hard to memorize. There are five declensions to memorize.
In one of the lessons, Dwayne Thomas, the instructor, was talking on the phone. In another lesson he said the shopasaurus, became extinct because he bought so many things there was nothing left to buy.
I think Visual Latin: Lessons 1-10 is good for kids my age.
What C (girl, age five, kindergarten) Liked and Disliked: I don’t think Visual Latin is good for kids my age. The worksheets were hard, because of the reading and writing.
Mentioning Snuffleupagus and shopasaurus in the videos was funny. I liked the videos because some were funny and that helped me remember the lesson.
Please go here to learn more about Visual Latin and how to order it for your family.
I would highly recommend Visual Latin. For more reviews go to “Because Mom Said”.
Disclaimer: I received Visual Latin for free for an unbiased review through Timberdoodle Co. All links were current when posted.
You can also join Timberdoodle Co. on Facebook.