We received this for review purposes!
Product Links: Yearly Membership
Vendor Information Link: SchoolhouseTeachers.com
Age Appeal: Preschool to High School and Parents
Format: Online subscription service
SchoolhouseTeachers.com is an online service with more than 200 different classes. There are classes in Art, Bible, Drama and Speech, Electives, Foreign Languages, History, Geography, and Social Studies, Language Arts, Math, Music, Nutrition, Health, and Fitness, Preschool, and Science. There is also a special section for parents, which includes help for homeschooling and homeschool planners.
If you are new to the program, the best place to look is the New Members Hub. After you look there it is a good idea to go to the Quick Links section, so you can see a listing of all the classes.
Here is a link to an introduction video.
We have used SchoolhouseTeachers.com in the past and have really enjoyed it. This time we enjoyed it even more because of all the new classes and the yearly membership.
The children enjoy the math and language arts programs that they have been using this year, so I decided that we would concentrate our searches in:
- Bible Study
- Foreign Languages
- and a little bit in Music
For Bible Study we studied Apologetics: Creation vs. Evolution, What’s in the Bible, and Foundations for Kids. Each of these areas had questions to go along with the videos. Usually when we finished watching the videos I would have the children orally answer the questions. B and C could easily answer the questions, so I know they were learning a lot.
For science the children learned about earthworms and woodpeckers. I personally learned a lot about the woodpecker the Mexicans call El Carpentero. I didn’t know that woodpeckers gather acorns and place them in holes in trees.
C started Spanish in Foreign Languages. I liked how she was learning how to say Bible verses in Spanish. B enjoys French, so I’m sure he’s going to start that class soon.
We took a look at several classes under the Electives. B decided he wanted to work on photography. He has been using my DSLR to take some great pictures based on what he has been studying.
We haven’t learned about missionaries in the past couple of years, so we watched videos and answered questions in the Lighting the Way course. They enjoyed learning about Amy Carmichael, Gladys Aylward, and Samuel Morris.
There are so many opportunities to learn with SchoolhouseTeachers.com and Rightnow Media (some of the videos are located on their site), that I’m not sure where we’ll go next. There are some core subjects I would like to continue, like history and Bible study. I really want the children to say in what they want to do. I want them to be able to work on what delights them. I feel that if I do that they will be able to contribute more to society.
- This is a wonderful online resource that your children can use, and you don’t need to worry about what they’re looking at.
- There are a lot of PDF documents that could be printed off. If you don’t have a lot of paper or ink, your children can verbally answer the questions or read the text on the computer or tablet. That is what we have been doing.
- One thing I would like to change is that ability to enlarge the embeded Vimeo videos. Since I couldn’t make the videos fill the screen, we had to crowd around the computer. It wasn’t a major problem, just an inconvenience.
- The selection of different classes is amazing. When choosing the different classes, I prefer to look at the Quick Links page, because all of the classes are listed by subject matter. I discovered even more courses, because I hadn’t seen them when I looked at them by subject. When I looked at the courses by subject, they were divided under tabs into Pre-K and K, Elementary, Middle School, High School, and Parents and Family.
- B and C were both eager to explore and learn what subjects were available to them. They each had classes they really wanted to try. B is taking photography in 4-H, so he wanted to begin and continue to explore the photography course. C started and wanted to continue the classes on Spanish and guitar.
B’s Thoughts (boy, age 12, officially in sixth grade):
I really liked the photography on SchoolhouseTeachers.com. I liked doing the activities. I plan on continuing this course.
I liked learning about the missionaries and the course, What’s in the Bible. I thought some parts of What’s in the Bible were funny.
I would like it if the videos could be enlarged.
C’s Thoughts (girl, age 10, officially in fourth grade):
- I liked the Bible videos from Rightnow Media. I really liked the Foundations for Kids videos with Theo, Belfry, and Luther. Some of the characters in the videos from What’s in the Bible were funny.
- I enjoyed the Lighting the Way course, because I like stories about missionaries.
- I had fun trying to learn how to play the guitar with the lessons. My fingers didn’t cooperate though. I want to continue to learn the guitar.
- I enjoyed doing the Spanish lessons. I plan on continuing them.
- The Daily Math was fun, because I like to do math.
- I really like SchoolhouseTeachers.com.
The first thing that caught my attention was how clean and organized the School House Teachers website is. It's easy to read and navigate. The drop down menus are concise and get you to the information you are looking for.
The second thing I liked is that each section has its own faq. You don't have to look through every faq for the entire site just to find your question and answer. The answers are clear and easily understandable. When the The Old Schoolhouse Magazine designed this website they put a lot of effort in the development stage to cover everything.
You'll get more value provided by SchoolhouseTeachers.com then they will get from the modest membership fees. Participating in the affiliate program is a great way to offset the low membership costs or just to add some extra cash flow.
The classes offered are varied and cover grades pre-k to high school. And there are more resources available for high school and some college.
There are many homeschooling websites available but SchoolHouseTeachers.com is the leader of pack and the best place to be.
Mama highly recommends SchoolhouseTeachers.com!
Social Media Links!
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/tosmag/ Google+: https://plus.google.com/118111005169451277551/posts