Product: Song School Latin
Vendor Contact Information:
Classical Academic Press
3920 Market Street
Camp Hill, PA 17011
Age Appeal: Kindergarten through 2nd grade
Format: Song School Latin workbook with CD (one time use) and Song School Latin Teacher’s Edition, there is also a website www.HeadventureLand.com with games (free)
Price: both books are $22.95
Quid agis? Sum optime! Is your family interested in learning a foreign language that will help them in learning now and in older grades.
Song School Latin has
- 31 lessons including 7 review lessons
- Option of learning the Classical or Ecclesiastical dialects
- CD with the featured songs
- More than 100 vocabulary words for classroom, family, body parts, seasons and animals
Here is a direct link to more information about Song School Latin.
Our Experience: We were very excited to review Song School Latin, because my sister is fluent in Latin. And this was a wonderful way to help our family begin to learn the basics.
We chose to do a lesson a week.
- Day 1- learn the vocab and songs
- Day 2- Work on coloring sheets and listen to songs
- Days 3 and 4- complete the workbook pages
- Day 5- review current and past lessons through the songs
This method has worked very well for us and the kids are enjoying learning new words and phrases that they can use in their every day world.
What I Liked:
- The songs were fun and it helped B and C to learn the vocabulary.
- I thought the teacher’s edition was helpful, because it had the answers and extra worksheets that could be copied.
- Each chapter had the perfect amount of vocabulary, songs and workbook activity to make it perfect for a week.
- Having a review section every couple of chapters, really helped to reinforce the vocabulary.
What I Disliked:
- It would have been nice to learn numbers and colors.
- The kids would have also enjoyed learning aunt, uncle, grandmother and grandfather.
- An e-book option of the workbook would be nice, so multiple copies can be easily made.
What B (boy, age seven and officially in first grade) Liked and Disliked: Salve! Quid est tuum praenomen? Meum praenomen est B. Quid agis? Sum optime!
I like learning new languages. Right now we are concentrating on Latin. We are having fun doing Song School Latin. My aunt knows Latin and we are going to have a secret club. In our secret club we are only going to speak Latin.
We learn a few new phrases or words in each chapter. There are coloring sheets you can download from the website, then color. Here are some words we have learned; casa, porta, murus, fenestra, frater, soror and mater. There are songs to go with each chapter. I like the songs.
I think this product is good for kids my age. I can’t wait to learn more Latin!
What C (girl, age five working on Kindergarten) Liked and Disliked: It was fun! I liked singing the songs and coloring the color pages. I like learning new languages. My aunt knows Latin, now I will be able to speak with her. I liked all of things in Song School Latin. It is good for kids my age.
What Dad Thought: I liked that the Song School program used simple ideas to teach Latin to kids. It was fun and easy to do. B and C both enjoyed it and used what they had learned at various times of the day when talking with each other.
What could have been better was to teach manners, colors and numbers after learning basic greeting dialog.
Overall Song School Latin is a good program and we'll keep teaching it to B and C.
Other Products Available: Latin Monkey Match, Latin for Children (3rd grade and up), Latin Alive! (7th grade and up), there are also products for Greek and Spanish, and many other products
Disclaimer: I received this product for free for review purposes through The Homeschool Crew. All links were current when posted.