We received Papa’s Pearls: A Father’s Gift of Love and Wisdom to His Children and Grandchildren by Diane Flynn Keith for review purposes.
Vendor Contact Information: Papa's Pearls
Age Appeal: Adult (read to young children at your discretion)
Format: paperback book (ISBN: 9780615661889)
Price: $21.97 (autographed copy from Papa’s Pearls website)
Papa’s Pearls was written by Dianne Flynn Keith as a tribute to her father, Carol Flynn. She discusses what it was like for her father, growing up in the Depression and becoming a successful business owner and father.
- Easy to follow advice.
- Comforting family customs.
- Good business advice.
- Quotes from Papa’s children and grandchildren.
Almost every night before the children go to bed we spend time reading. We found Papa’s Pearls to be the perfect book to read before bedtime. I would read a chapter or two, then we would talk about what we learned. It is a book I would like to read to the children once a year, because we can become better as a family from Papa’s pearls of advice.
- There was a lot of good information and sayings to use in our daily lives.
- I enjoyed learning about how close Diane Flynn Keith’s family was as she was growing up.
- It was fun learning about Papa’s life when he was growing up.
- B was always excited when it was time to read this book.
- I gleaned a lot of information about business in chapters eleven and twelve.
What B (boy, age nine, officially in third grade) Liked and Disliked: I liked Papa’s Pearls. One of the reasons is that you learn a lot of good life lessons. Two, is that it was really interesting. I think this book is good for kids my age and not my age.
What C (girl, age seven, officially in first grade) Liked and Disliked:
- I liked some of the phrases like, “I love you. You know that, right?” and “Oogie boogies.”
- I didn’t think that some of it was interesting, like when Papa was working in the sewers.
- I think it would be good for kids my age.
Dad’s Call: When I first started to read Papa's Pearls, by Dianne Flynn Keith, my initial thoughts were, that this was just a collection of some well known (or just commonly known) sayings that her father used. The more I read, the more I learned that Papa actually lived his life according to those sayings. And he taught his children what those sayings meant not only in words but in deed. This world needs more men like Carol Flynn. Men not afraid to love their families, men who tell others how great their families are and men not afraid to take on the challenges of this world. I definitely recommend this easy to read book, the values you'll take away from it are well worth your time.
Mamma would definitely recommend Papa’s Pearls: A Father’s Gift of Love and Wisdom to His Children and Grandchildren by Diane Flynn Keith!