We received Spanish for You!- Estaciones for review purposes.
Vendor Contact Information: Spanish for You!
Age Appeal: 3rd to 8th grade (we focused on 3rd to 4th grade)
Format: PDF and MP3 audio files
Price: $64.95 for complete package (visit the curriculum page for more options)
Is it important for your family to learn a language which is not your native language? Does your family want to learn Spanish in a non-textbook format? Spanish for You! is a themed Spanish curriculum. The current themed packages are Estaciones and Fiestas. In June of 2013 Viajes will be available.
Included in the complete package are.
- soft cover book or e-book (we had the e-book)
- 24-30 week lesson guide as a PDF download for the grades you need (free lesson guide)
- self-checking worksheets are a PDF download (free worksheets)
- MP3 downloadable audio files of the book in both native Spanish and by the author
- flashcards as a PDF download
I did not actively learn Spanish until I was in high school and I had to repeat much of it in college. I was at an age, where I could not easily retain it. I want more than that for my children, so I am glad they are beginning to learn when they are in first and third grade.
I was really interested in Spanish for You!, because it was in themes, not in the typical textbook form. When I received my e-mail with the downloads I downloaded everything at once and printed the e-book and flashcards for the children. I printed the Lesson Guide for myself and then we got to work on our first lesson. The first lesson took us around twenty minutes. I was pleased, because our classroom time was designed so that each lesson would only take twenty minutes. I was disappointed in the following lessons, because it was taking us forty minutes to complete one lesson a day. It took the children around fifteen minutes to complete one worksheet and some days had more than one worksheet. I decided to make each lesson take two days if needed. It worked well and made the children happier.
- That the children were learning Spanish by listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
- That there were fun worksheets and games like; Charades, Memory, and Hangman to make learning fun.
- The grade divisions, so if we had other grades in our family we could all do it together.
- The detailed Lesson Guide.
- Each daily lesson took much longer than our usual twenty minute lesson times.
What B (boy, age nine, officially in third grade) Liked and Disliked: Spanish isn’t really for me, but I did like some of Spanish for You! I liked playing Charades, learning the days of the week, and filling out the worksheets. I think Spanish for You! would be good for kids my age.
What C (girl, age seven, officially in first grade) Liked and Disliked:
- I liked learning the days of the week. It was really easy.
- I liked the worksheets. I had fun circling and drawing my answers on them.
- I had fun learning the different verbs like, dibujo (I draw).
- It would be good for kids my age and older.
- I liked that Spanish for You! had the singular and plural versions of words and phrases along with the English version for clarity.
- Using well known simple games like Hangman and Simon Says helps to reinforce the lessons.
- I like the Lesson Guide which helps the teacher to effectively teach the materials to the kids. It’s well laid out and easy to follow.
I certainly recommend Spanish for You!
Mamma recommends Spanish for You!