Friday, March 8, 2013

What I Wish I Could Teach More Often

I have been giving this post a lot of thought.  I have come to the conclusion that I like teaching range management even though I don’t actively teach it.  It has also been many years since I have taught it.

I was in 4-H for nine years and I was in the range management project for eight years.  I’m sure that some of you are wondering what range management is.  Range management is the study of the plants, soil types, and range conditions.

When I was taking the range management project our county 4-H range team would study weekly.  We would go to state, regional, and national contests.  When I was in eighth grade I was old enough to go to the week long range camp near Tensleep, Wyoming.  That is where my real desire and love for teaching range (that’s what we call it) developed.

I went to range camp, I think for six years.  I went more times than any other camper and even some of the leaders.  After I had been going a few years, I was actively helping teach the students about their plants and grading their plant presses.  Those were some of the best times.

After I was done with my years as a 4-H member I spent some time teaching my younger sisters about range management.  They both had been exposed to it since birth and they have participated in the project all their years in 4-H.

Now that I have children and they are reaching the age where they can be in 4-H, I need to begin teaching them about soil types and how to identify plants.  I hope they enjoy learning range management as much as my sisters, brother, and I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment